Puppy Chow…My Way!
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Peanut Free…But NOT Flavor Free!Jump to Recipe
If you’ve been following allow with my recent posts, then you’ve probably noticed a theme…food allergies.
After posting Back To School – Food Allergy Edition and designing food allergy awareness merch, I was craving one of our family’s favorite allergy friendly treats…puppy chow! What better way to continue this week’s theme than to share it with all of you!
Fortunately for you, readers, I was able to snatch some drool-worthy pics before my family descended like ravenous vultures upon these sweet, unsuspecting morsels. I barely made it out of the way in time before the carnage began! Seriously, if you make this recipe, it will NOT last long.
Inspired by the Chex brand Muddy Buddy recipe, this puppy chow is just as easy to make, but without the food allergy risks.
Instead of the 1 cup of chocolate chips, 1/2 cup of peanut butter, and 1/4 cup of butter called for in the muddy buddies, I use equal replacements of Toll House Allergen Free Chips, SunButter, and Country Crock Plant Butter. Very little flavor difference and a whole lot of YUM!
But my Messy Masterpiece spin doesn’t end there. Not only do I replace ingredients, but I also double all of the ingredients except the Chex.
My favorite pieces of puppy chow have always been the extra coated ones. So, why not make them all extra coated…Am I right? After all, life’s too short for half coated Chex pieces. Wink!
You’re only 6 ingredients and 10 mins away from this amazing guilt free(ish) treat. This recipe is a safe alternative for classroom parties, holiday get togethers, movie nights, and so much more! The best part is that you can share this recipe with your dietary restricted loved ones and earn some major brownie points!
There’s no better way to say “I love you” to someone with a food allergy than to take a forbidden recipe and recreate it using safe ingredients. I see it in my son’s face every time I do. Don’t believe me? Give it a try and see what happens. I promise, you won’t be disappointed!
Puppy ChowDifficulty: Easy
- Pour Chex into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a microwave safe dish, melt together chocolate, SunButter, and plant butter in 30 second increments until smooth (stirring in between).
- Stir vanilla extract into chocolate mixture before pouring over Chex.
- Mix well until all pieces are coated evenly.
- Pour powdered sugar and chocolate Chex mixture into a 2 gallon size Ziploc bag. Zip bag and shake until all the pieces are coated evenly.
- Let cool and enjoy! Store in an airtight container. If there’s any left to store that is…